SOCIAL INFLUENCE/COMPLIENCE TECHNIQUES
- feel guilty====>action to reduce guilt
- Door in the Face Effect (DITF)
- large request====>moderate request
- Imagining an Event
- imagine an event====>commitment compliance
- Foot in the Door Effect (FITD)
- small request====>moderate request
- Low Ball Procedure
- decision====>increase in "cost"
- Overt Modeling
consumer observes modeled behavior and consequences
e.g., commercial shows how to apply cosmetic and consequences of usage
- Covert Modeling
consumer is told to imagine a model (or self) performing behavior and consequences
e.g., travel agency ad: "imagine you're on the warm, sunny beaches of Florida"
- Verbal Modeling
consumer is given a description of how others similar to her/him self behave
in purchase or usage situation
e.g., door-door volunteer collecting for worthy cause: "others on this street
have been giving five dollars on average"